Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Paris

Hello,

I think it's about time that I talk about Paris. I had seen it in movies and magazines, and heard about it from everyone and their brother, but to witness it was something completely different. When Maggie and I first stepped out of Gare Lyon on our first day in France it was everything I had ever imagined. I couldn't help but look up at the beautiful buildings and admire the Parisians' simple but elegant style!

Over the duration of my exchange I have been to Paris a total of eight times, but really only three times for touring around, since the rest were just stops along my travel routes. I do have to say that I made the most of those stops, because even if I had a layover of a couple of hours I discovered another little gem! Whether it was going to a Christmas market on the Champs Elysées, or writing a paper in the Père Lachaise cemetery, I think it's safe to say that I got a good dose of Paris over the past three and a half months.


I have decided to compile a little list of favourite spots for whoever wants to visit the city of lights! For people that are already Paris connoisseurs feel free to add suggestions in the comments J

EAT
L'As du Fallafel: I had read about this place on a blog and in a few guide books, and just had to give it a go. Boy oh boy, it delivered! These falafels are packed with crispy chickpea fritters, fresh ingredients like roasted eggplant, cucumbers and cabbage, and their special sauce. All served up with a smile, on a soft pita. Needless to say, since my time in France I have gone back three times... And the best part is they're a cheap way to fill up for a day of walking! One falafel to go is 6 euros, or you can eat in for 8 euros. I've never eaten inside, but instead have chosen to roam around le Marais and people watch at dusk. Sigh! So perfect.

Ladurée: I was able to channel my inner Blair Waldorf by picking up a few macarons at Ladurée. I don't think it would have been a trip to France without at least one of these little French pieces of heaven. With a crisp and airy exterior, light and creamy inside, and a multitude of flavours, macarons are the perfect way to end a day on your feet!

Le Pure Cafe: I might be a little biased because I was staying right across the street from this bistro, but it was so typically french and I loved it. It was kind of away from the hustle and bustle too, so it wasn't packed with tourists, but instead was filled with chatting Parisians having a coffee or dinner with friends. The food was simple, yet delicious.

Honourable mention goes to Angelina, the place that's famous for its luxurious decor and hot chocolate. Although I did fork over an excessive amount of dough at Angelina for a hot chocolate, I didn't think it was out of this world. With that in mind I know a lot of people who did, so I guess it depends on your taste (and bank account)!

Oh and the Lindt flagship store gives out free samples, so definitely hit that up!







STAY
Airbnb: For my first visit to Paris, Maggie and I stayed at these lovely sisters' apartment in the Bastille neighbourhood (beside Pure Cafe above). It was so nice to have our own bed and share a bathroom with only one other person. The other times I was in Paris, I stayed in hostels for just a slightly cheaper price, but they didn't compare to our first apartment. A good AirBnB apartment can make all the difference after a long day of touring around. Look ahead of time for good prices and locations because the best apartments go quickly!


SEE

I saw so many beautiful things in Paris but ultimately these were my favourites.

La Cigale: In October, I went to see James Vincent McMorrow here and it was one of those wonderful moments in life where you just look around and are so, so happy. One of the band members said it was it favourite concert hall to play in because it was so intimate and beautiful.

Musée d'Orsay: The Louvre is alright (for making vines) but the Musée d'Orsay is amazing! I'd love to say I planned to go here on purpose, but in reality both times I tried to go to the Louvre it was Tuesday, so it was closed, and I just happened to walk by this museum. I felt like a movie character prancing around the museum on my own in a sundress, just taking it all in. The paintings from the impressionist collection had me buying every post card I could get my hands on in the gift shop (okay I bought two).

Shakespeare and Co Bookstore: I once saw a post on Pinterest about this little hole in the wall bookstore and it was love at first sight! So cute and tiny, and packed with every type of book. I could have spent a solid amount of time here had I not been trying to fit one of the world's greatest cities in a day.

The Eiffel Tower: Yes, yes I know you know about the Eiffel Tower, but this is just a friendly reminder that you must definitely see it during the day and at night! Bring some neufchâtel, a baguette, and a bottle of red for a picnic to remember!

Cathédrale Notre Dame de Paris: This is where Maggie and I started our walking tour that we downloaded on Rick Steve's Best of Europe app. The walk brought us through many wonderful sights such as the Latin Quarter, beautiful churches, and ice cream shops.

Sacré Coeur: The views of the city from this stunning basilica are out if this world. Not to mention it's nice to walk around the Montmartre neighbourhood at its base. Also another great picnic destination!









NOTES
✿ Something to note is that students get in for free to tons of museums! I went to the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay and I didn't even have to wait in line for a ticket, I just flashed my student card.
✿ Students (-26 yrs) also get a great deal on metro day passes. It's 3.75€ for the day, instead of 1.70€ per ride.
✿ Another thing that Paris is doing right is they have drinkable water from a lot of fountains around town! Bring an empty reusable bottle at the beginning of the day and then fill 'er up when you're thirsty to avoid lugging around a heavy bottle all day or having to buy one.
✿ The city is also dotted with free wifi zones, you just have to give your email!

Before I end this post, I also wanted to say a special shoutout to UNIQLO Paris for being the best store ever. Such nice things in one store! I had been deprived of visiting since 2012 when I went to the NYC location, but I sure was happy when I got to scavenge through the shelves and racks of cashmere on cashmere. I obviously couldn't resist a selfie with this skirt, shirt, and coat!


Lots of love.
xox

Gaby







No comments:

Post a Comment