Friday, December 19, 2014

Gluten-Free Pizza Crust

Hello!

Now that I am back home, out of residence, and I FINALLY have access to an oven I thought I would try out a Pinterest recipe I've been longing to eat all semester. It's a cauliflower crust pizza recipe and I spiced it up a little with pesto, a mozzarella/parmesan blend, chopped kale and some roasted sweet potato. The original recipe also called for a cracked egg on top, which I was skeptical about at first, but then went for it and I'm so glad I did! 

Since everyone nowadays has some sort of intolerance or allergy, I thought that I would take my Christmas break to try my hand at more vegan and gluten-free recipes. It also helps that I lived across the hall from Maggie for the last four months and she has been so inspiring with all her dates, chickpeas, and her blender!!



Gluten-Free Pizza 
Crust recipe adapted from Cooking Stoned (ya, no comment at that blog title).

Ingredients 
- 1 head of cauliflower (about 2 lbs)
- 1 egg for the crust, and 1 egg for topping (optional)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan 
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 garlic powder
- 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella for the crust, and another 1/2 cup for topping
- 3 Tbsp of pesto 
- 1/4 cup of chopped kale 
- 1/2 cup of chopped, roasted sweet potato

Instructions
Chop up the cauliflower and then pulse in a food processor until it is finely chopped. It should look like snow, and  come to roughly 3 cups of cauliflower.

In a large skillet, cook the chopped cauliflower over medium-low heat until tender, about 5 minutes.

Let cool, and then drain as much as of the water from the cooked cauliflower by squeezing it through cheesecloth, or though coffee filters if you don't have any cheesecloth. The more water you squeeze out, the less soggy your crust will be.

✿ Combine the cauliflower, salt, oregano, basil, garlic powder, 1/4 cup of mozzarella, parmesan. Then add one beaten egg and combine ingredients to form a dough. 

Pat the dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. 

Bake just the dough for 15 minutes at 400ºF, or until it starts getting golden.

Remove from the oven and spread an even layer of pesto over the crust. Then add the rest of the mozzarella, followed by the chopped kale and the sweet potato. Make a little room for the egg, and then gently crack it over the other toppings.

Bake for another 15 minutes or until the egg white sets.

Yum! Enjoy :) 

If you want to see a video of the steps check out my vine account. I'm going to try to make more mini movies on cooking, so stay tuned!


I'm heading to my mom's side of the family's Christmas get together tomorrow in Peterborough, so I'll catch you next week with posts on packing for a semester abroad, a great breakfast idea, and a Christmas celebrations!

Lots of love,

Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment