Sunday, December 7, 2014

My Classes

Hi friends!

Okay let’s talk classes. Sometimes it’s easy to associate exchange programs with travelling and partying, which I did do my fare share of, but I also really enjoyed the educational side (#nerdalert). My school was pretty much chosen for me, because it was the only one in France that Maggie and I could both go to, so I didn’t really know what I was getting into. I took all masters levels classes too, so that was another hit or miss situation that was awaiting me at the beginning of the semester. 

Now let’s not go assuming I’m a mega overachiever that thought I was too good for French bachelors classes. Quick backstory: Course registration was the day I left Canada, so I had a bijillion other things to do (read: I was on instagram for too long) and ended up registering about 15 minutes late. For those of you that aren’t in university this might seem like no biggie, but trust me, total panic surfaced when almost all the classes I wanted were full and I ended up only being able to take classes I wanted at the Masters Grande École level. But I ended up being so happy with my classes!

Here’s a little overview of my classes, which I know is so riveting that you’ll probably read twice… 

1) International Human Resources
I loved this class for a few reasons, one being that the prof was this sassy/feisty Korean power woman. Most of the class hated her for her blunt honesty, but the woman brought us cake and was really funny so she had a spot in my heart.  Two being that the course only had presentations as evaluations and we got to pick our subject for the last one. I chose Gender Equality in Global Workplaces for my group and it was so interesting to research. I somehow managed to incorporate workplace feminism into quite a few of my presentation this semester. Oopsies! Another aspect of the class that was interesting was that you couldn't have two people from the same country on your presentation team. I had five other girls on my team from Mexico, Russia, Germany, China, and France!! Talk about international!

2) Brand Marketing
This class should most definitely be called “How to Be a Hipster” because the prof was this super smart, young Scandinavian guy (#swoon) that recently won a prize for his research film on analog  authenticities in alternative skateboarding. So Joonas if you’re reading this, hi! The class was all about how brand relationships are formed with consumers. Again, our final presentation was really fun to research because my group chose to develop a brand extension for President’s Choice. Looking through food blogs and researching “foodie culture”? Yes please!! Our prof said we should patent our product, so I think he liked it J

3) International Negotiation
This class was interesting because there was an hour of negotiating per class, which meant that I could turn on “power mode” and debate about whatever the prof had stirred up for the day. I also learned a lot about different world problems in this class because there was a group presentation per class on a current international negotiation going on.

4) Cross Cultural Diversity and Global Issues
Apart from the fact that it took me two weeks to learn the course name, I was always up for what Carlos had in store for us Friday mornings. That says a lot for a Friday morning class, am I right? The prof was this boisterous little Spanish man that was a mix of my dad and Robin Williams in the Dead Poet’s Society… The class was totally off the wall, in the sense that it really wasn’t structured. For instance, one class he just told us to talk about our favourite food from around the world. It was a breath of fresh air from my regular Canadian courses and I discovered a lot about different cultures. It helped that we had about 15 different nationalities in the class!

5) Entrepreneurship
6) Sustainable Business
These classes weren’t all that to write home about so I won’t go on and on about them!

Here are some not so scholarly pictures from my recent trip to Paris.




I hope you all are getting through exams or stressful times at work, and seeing the Christmas lights at the end of the tunnel! I get home on December 15th, and can’t wait to see everyone and take some very necessary yoga classes; sitting in trains for so many trips has made my hips tighter than a steel drum. Pour me eh?

Lots of love
xox

Gaby


No comments:

Post a Comment