Friday, December 13, 2013

Spring Rolls and Home

Hello!

I am home for the holidays and it feels great! It's nice to be in a city instead of a small town with not even a movie theatre. I had to remind myself how to drive but after a few days I think I'm back to normal ;) For this holiday season I'm going to try and eat fresh foods and exercise a lot to balance out all the sweets and treats! I went to a step aerobics class yesterday at the recreation centre I used to go to in high school. I tell ya, those women sure know how to keep it up in an aerobics class. To begin, I was the only one under 50 but it took me sometime to get back into the rhythm and keep up. I usually enjoy running outside, even in the winter months, but it's been especially cold since I've been home and it seemed like a better idea to go to an indoor class.

Today I made spring rolls for lunch and they were delicious. I used leftover salmon from last night's dinner and picked up some vegetables at the store this morning after I met Maggie at the UofO library.

Vietnamese Spring Rolls

For this recipe I am not going to indicate specific amounts, because it depends on how much you would like in each spring roll.

- 1 package of rice paper rounds
- 1 package of vermicelli noodles
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- Carrots
- Green onions
- Cucumber
- Shrimp, crab, or whatever fish/meat

1. Boil a pot of water and soak vermicelli noodles for one and a half minutes

2. Soak one rice paper at a time in a bowl of warm water for about 45 seconds or until they are soft and no longer crunchy.

3. Shred the carrots, and chop the cucumber, cilantro, and green onions.

4. Add the veggies and the noodles to the rice paper and roll them up!






 You can enjoy them with soy sauce, hoisin sauce, or anything that will spice them up a bit. Enjoy!

xox Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment