Friday, December 20, 2013

My Favourite Things

Hi lovelies,

TGIF!!! Well to tell you the truth I didn't even realize that it was Friday since all my days have been mixed up. I have been thoroughly enjoying my break and it's so nice to have all my sisters together. Britt arrived from Vancouver on Monday and Steffi's last day of teaching was yesterday so we're all on break!

Last night, Steffi, Britt, my mom, her friend Birgit, and I went to the Sound of Music at the National Arts Centre and it was fantastic! It's such a classic movie and the stage production was so well executed. SO much better than the Carrie Underwood remake… It was such a wonderful evening filled with good music and dancing. It made me miss the days when I was in my high school's theatre program and we would parade over to the NAC for a quick matinee all the time.



The other night I made this fajita/burrito recipe and it was easy and tasty.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito

Adapted from this recipe

Ingredients:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 pepper (colour of your choice! I used red.), sliced or chopped
- 1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1 small white onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 can of black beans (15oz)
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sour cream, salsa, avocado, cheese, and green onions for toppings
- Tortillas

Instructions:

✿ Boil a pot of water and add the chopped potato (1 inch pieces). Simmer till tender.

✿ Warm some olive oil in a medium skillet or saucepan, add the garlic, pepper, and onion. Cook over medium-low heat till the onions are tender.

✿ Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and add the rinsed black beans to the sweet potatoes. Also add the lemon juice, cilantro, and salt.

✿ Use a potato masher to mash the potato mixture until smooth.

✿ Spoon the mixture onto tortillas, add the onion/pepper mixture, and top with various toppings mentioned above.




Enjoy!

xox Gaby


1 comment: