Monday, March 3, 2014

Vegan Sloppy Joes

Hello!

I hope those of you in cold weather, like me, are bundled up in a wool blanket sipping tea! It's pretty nippy in Ottawa today, I can practically see my breath in the comfort of my own bedroom. I'm home for reading week and I've been having so much fun already! From three hour coffee shop chats with the besties, to hitting up Costco like I'm a 30 year-old soccer mom with a birthday party to throw.

I've also made a bit of progress with my exchange research. My dad is all gung-ho about me travelling since he loves anything related to maps, geography, or discovering the world. If my dad was ten and his house was being built on Extreme Makeover Home Edition, I'm pretty sure his room would be map themed, with his bed being a huge atlas. I just need to decide where I want to live for four months and it's so difficult!!! BUT new information: My best friend Maggie might come with me!!! Imagine that?? We've shared so many good memories but have gone to different universities so now would be our chance to study abroad together! It makes me grin from ear to ear just thinking about it.

Here is a recipe for all you vegans out there! Or if you're not vegan, this recipe is great, and that's coming from a huge sloppy joes fan!

Side note: Here is the text I sent my roommate Sara, when I found this recipe… my bad.


Vegan Sloppy Joes

Adapted from Hell Yeah It's Vegan

Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 1 c quinoa (cooked)
- ½ tofu (optional)
- 1½ c water
- ½ c pizza sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- soft  buns
Instructions
✿ In a medium saucepan, saute pepper and onion in oil until onion is translucent.
✿ Stir in chili powder, garlic and mustard.
✿ In a small bowl mix pizza sauce, brown sugar, and vinegar to make ketchup like sauce.
✿ Add cooked quinoa (and optional chopped tofu), water, ketchup like sauce, and soy sauce; stir well.
✿ Cover and bring mixture to a boil.
✿ Reduce heat, simmering for ~20 minutes covered.
✿ Remove lid and simmer for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently until most of liquid has evaporated.
✿ Season with salt and pepper to taste.
✿ Serve hot on toasted sandwich buns, with onion slices and avocados if desired.





Enjoy!!

xox
Gaby

2 comments:

  1. Yum!

    What countries are you considering for the exchange, Gabs? How exciting!

    ReplyDelete