Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Shrimp Pad Thai

Hello lovelies,

If you don't know me very well you may not know that in high school my friends and I started a curling team. It's the classic underdog story of how we worked together as a team to fight the assumptions that this team of beginners couldn't make it anywhere. Well, we ended up making the playoffs and quickly curling nights were a highlight for this tight knit group of girls. So without boring you too much about my curling stories, I just wanted to say we've kept a special place in our hearts for curling. (Cue the cheesiness…)

Which brings me to tell you about my fun little outing over my reading week! 75 years ago, my great grandmother, Clara Williamson, donated a trophy for the City of Ottawa Ladies Curling Cup. Ever since then, descendants of Clara have presented the cup and this year my dad and I went. I felt like Kate Middleton, as we posed with the trophy and were introduced as the guests of honour! It was fun to watch the game cause it was a nail biter!


My dad kept whispering in my ear "This is so exciting I'm on the edge of my seat" sarcastically, but I was having a ball. I didn't know innocent little old ladies could yell so much and scream so loudly when they played a good stone. It was really fun and it was great to be there representing my family.

Here is a Pad Thai recipe I found on one of my favourite blogs, A Cup of Jo. She's so funny and honest!

Shrimp Pad Thai

By Cooksmarts via Cup of Jo

Ingredients
- 8 oz. Pad Thai noodles 
- 3 tbsp. canola oil 
- 1 lb. frozen peeled, tail-on shrimp 
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped 
- 4 cloves garlic, minced 
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped 
- 2-4 eggs, whisked 
- 1/4 cup chicken stock 
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar 
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce 
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce 
- 2 tbsp. tamarind paste (optional) 
- A few limes

Instructions
✿ Place noodles in a large bowl and pour 6 cups of boiling water over the noodles. Give the noodles a stir and then let them sit in the hot water for about 8 minutes. This will be enough time to get them softened but not soggy. Drain and set aside. (I usually toss the noodles with about 1 tbsp. of oil to keep them from sticking.)

✿ While waiting for the noodles, defrost shrimp in a bowl of lukewarm water. Drain them after 15 to 20 minutes and dry with some paper towels.

✿ Meanwhile get your the other ingredients ready: chop green onions, keeping green and white parts separate; mince garlic; chop peanuts, and whisk eggs.

✿ Next mix together the sauce. Combine stock, sugar, fish and soy sauces, tamarind paste and minced garlic. Marinate shrimp in about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the sauce.

✿ Now it’s time to put all the ingredients together. Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp. oil and then shrimp to heated oil. Be careful to drop the shrimp in as close as you can to the wok to prevent spattering. Sear shrimp for about 2 to 3 minutes on both sides until you get a beautiful caramelization. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.

✿ Return wok back to medium-high heat and add remaining tbsp. of oil. Add in the chopped white parts of the green onion with a dash of salt. Pour in whisked eggs and scramble lightly for about 30 seconds. Push them to the side of the wok and then add noodles. Pour in remainder of the sauce and toss your noodles with tongs and get them completely coated in your sauce. Once the noodles have absorbed all the sauce, add the shrimp back along with the green parts of the green onions and juice from half a lime. 

✿ Toss everything together and then taste! If it needs more sweetness, add more brown sugar; if it needs more salt, add fish or soy sauce; if it needs more tanginess, add more tamarind paste. Once you get it exactly to your liking, serve piping hot with chopped peanuts and extra lime wedges.




Enjoy!

xox Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment