Thursday, November 21, 2013

T'was a Magical Night

Hello lovelies,


I hope you aren’t too busy with end of the semester craziness. My schedule has been packed with meetings and study groups but I have been able to cram in some fun times here and there. Last weekend, I hosted a dinner party for 20 of my closest girlfriends and we had a magical evening. I decorated our house and it was so much fun (but sometimes stressful) to throw a party. I love throwing parties, but not your typical university party. My friends kept teasing me and saying that I was going to throw a huge kegger à la Project X. I was like NO WAY! I figured that 20 guests was the maximum number of people I could feed under my budget and this way everybody got to socialize with everybody there. There were some elements that I absolutely wanted to incorporate into the evening:

1. Hand-written and delivered invitations. I set off on my bike with them in my basket and delivered them to my friends' houses. In the age of Facebook, it's so refreshing to get mail and this way it adds a little element of surprise with regards to who would be there.

2. Whimsical decorations that make you feel like this is a special evening and not just another dinner party. Think DIY balloons and garlands, floral everything, and candles scattered throughout.

3. A good meal that was interesting and different, but that wouldn't require that I slave away in the kitchen all week or that would break the bank. The solution: Grilled Cheese Bar. Yes, that is capitalized because it was ah-ma-zing. I loved the buffet-like layout and our house is perfectly set-up for the make-grill-eat sequence. I had three types of cheese, bacon, ham and various spreads and toppings.

 4. Party games were also a must-have. A few years ago my mom made a Jeopardy board for either an office christmas party or a family reunion, I can't remember which. Since then, we've been customizing it for various occasions and it's made an appearance at more than one of my parties. We also played the "get the Oreo from your forehead to your mouth without using your hands" game. That game sure is great for pictures ;)

5. The last thing I really wanted to see happen, was goodie bags. I love to give my guests a little something to take home! I put together little s'mores kits and put them in little brown paper bags that I had jazzed up a bit with my flower hole punch and japanese eyelet paper.








We had such a wonderful time and I couldn't stop telling my friends how happy I was. I know this sounds really cheesy but when I was surrounded by all my friends I couldn't help but think how lucky I am. I made the best decision of my life coming to Bishop's and it really showed last Friday night. 

I made my grandma's wacky cake cupcakes with buttercream icing for dessert and I got these cute little hot pink foil liners to go with them. I also got tall candles and they looked fabulous on my cake stand. 


Here are the basics for a grilled cheese bar:

1. Have a few different kinds of cheese. I had jalapeño mozzarella, cheddar, and goat cheese.

2. Have your toppings labelled. On the night of the party you'll be pretty busy and you won't have time to be running around telling people what's what. 

3. Have enough bread! You can't make a grilled cheese without bread. 

4. Think big with your toppings and add something for everyone. At the party we had two vegetarians, two gluten intolerants, and one vegan, so I wanted a good balance. Some of the toppings included caramelized onions, ham, bacon, herbed cream cheese, red pepper jelly, and pesto. 

5. Have many frying pans on the go, or a big pancake griddle and rotate the sandwiches.



There were even sparklers!

I mentioned last week that Maggie was coming to visit me. We had a great time and I'm so so so glad she came. Everyone was amazed at how similar we were and how we laughed at all the same things. It brought me back to high school days when we'd always get scolded for giggling at all the wrong times. We went to a Great Gatspy (GABspy) party and I loved getting all dolled up with my best friend on my side. I even pulled out my grandma's fox scarf and it was a hit!


 xox Gaby





4 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing, Gabs! I made everyone do the oreo-face-mouth thing at our office christmas party last year (along with various other competitions involving pantyhose on your head, and sucking up m&ms with a straw...) HUGE HIT. I'll have to try the grilled cheese bar next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your office was probably loving life with you! True Farlow with all your games.

      Delete
  2. Gaby, I am in awe of you. You are a fantastic person. Just thought you should know :)
    xoxo
    Moni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moni!!! I love all your support <3 I wish you came to my school. xxoo

      Delete