Saturday, October 12, 2013

Study Break/Baking Break

Hi!

I know I have some international readers, so bare with me guys while I go on about Canadian Thanksgiving! I got home on Thursday night (yay for no Friday classes) at around 7 and it was so nice to get a ride from my friend Karly. Don't get me wrong, I love taking the train, but not two weekends in a row with a suitcase the size of Russia and a backpack packed to the brim with textbooks and cue cards. I am in the middle of midterm season and to put it quite frankly it sucks. I am following my study schedule like my life depended on it, but I wish I could just parade around Ottawa and see everyone with no time constraints. Oh student life, what am I going to do!? 

The other night when I got home, I made these wonderful turtle bars. I would have made something more Thanksgiving-ish but I thought I was making dessert for our family Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt Nini and uncle Roger's house. Then, I got a call saying that someone (I will not use any names...) snatched up my dessert making duty and my mom and I were demoted to appetizer duty. Maybe I'll make something extra delicious next week with that can of pumpkin puree that's burning a hole in my cupboard in Lenny. 

Butter Pecan Turtle Bars

From Bake or Break

Ingredients: 

Crust
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans

Filling
- ⅔ butter
- ½ firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 bag of milk chocolate chips (300g)

Directions:

Crust
✿ Beat butter until creamy. 
✿ Add brown sugar and mix well. 
✿ Add flour gradually and mix well. 
✿ Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9″x13″ pan. 
✿ Sprinkle with pecans.

Filling
✿ Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
✿ In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil, and continue stirring for about 30 seconds. 
✿ Pour over crust and pecans. 
✿ Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. 
✿ Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. 
✿ Let stand for a few minutes, and then use a knife to cut through chocolate. Cool and cut into bars.




 They are so delicious and remind me of Erica's Skor bars. I'm so happy to be home and see everyone. Especially these little munchkins!!! They're the cutest little neighbours and I could just eat them for dinner. Happy Thanksgiving and if you're in the middle of midterms, or another tough time, just drop everything and go hold a baby. It helps every time. Just remember to ask the parents!! ;)



1 comment:

  1. LOVE This Gabs!! Just what I needed :D
    -Moni

    ReplyDelete