Thursday, October 3, 2013

1 Squash 2 Ways

Hello guys and gals,

Today I commenced my cross country journey (I'm going to Toronto, we can all stay calm) from Lennoxville. I was so antsy in my last class, but apparently my prof didn't pick up on that because he kept asking me direct questions. He did quite like my managerial accounting analogy about making chili. This past week has been busy as usual, but I like it that way. Now that we're into October I am loving life because fall is just great. I went for a nice run this morning at around 6:30 and it was so calm and beautiful out. Lennoxville is structured in a way that wherever you go there are hills, so the views are impeccable this time of year.

I love hunting for bargains and I usually base my meals off of what's on sale. So when I found out butternut squash and eggs were on sale, I was at the grocery store faster than you can say ''Two dozen eggs for $4". The squash recipes that I am posting today are great for autumn and are simple, yet delicious.

Roasted Squash with Brown Sugar

- ½ butternut squash
- ½ Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter

✿ Cut squash in half and cut a small section out of the back so that it doesn't wobble on the pan.

✿ Remove seeds from center and place butter and brown sugar in the center. You can rub the butter
and sugar over the surface of the squash too, to spread the flavour.

✿ Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 400℉ or until tender.


Squash Croquettes

Adapted from Cierra's Country Life

- ½ butternut squash, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp of flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper

✿ In a large bowl, combine squash, onions, egg, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well. Stir in flour.

 In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
 Drop batter in ¼ cup portions into oil.
 Cook about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown, turning when needed.
   



Well that's it for today folks! Have a happy october 3rd and a good Friday too (TGI-almost-F right?).

xo

Gaby



No comments:

Post a Comment