Saturday, May 11, 2013

Something's Fishy

Hi friends,

I hope everyone had a good week and is getting ready for Mother's Day tomorrow. I started my job this week, and I am beyond excited by how official everything is. I get my own security badge (which I scanned the wrong way one time and set off an alarm... my bad), cubicle, and a laptop. There's even a supply room where you can get unlimited help-yourself office supplies, a.k.a. heaven. I can't give out too much information about anything because the audits are kind of secret. In June, I am going to spend two and a half weeks in Montreal, on a business trip. Picture this: Me stepping off the train in a power suit and hailing a cab in downtown Montreal... So basically my life will be complete. Hopefully I'll be able to come home for weekends to cook for the blog, but I can always do restaurant reviews!

A couple of times this week I made two of my favourite fish recipes. They are so easy but so delicious. Those are two key elements in off campus cooking. The first one is Parchment Paper Fish. This recipe can be altered to the way you like it because you can use whatever type of fish and vegetables that you wish to eat.

Parchment Paper Fish, also called Half Moon Fish

For one

1. Take a piece of parchment paper about two feet long and spray it with cooking spray or spread a little oil around.

2. Place the piece of white fish of your choice, I used cod, on the prepared sheet of parchment paper. Put the fish to one end because you need to fold half of the parchment paper over the fish. Place any sliced vegetables on top. Good veggies to use are zucchinis, tomatoes, peppers, etc.

3. Sprinkle some seasonings and/or lemon juice on top as well as a splash of olive oil. I recommend rosemary, basil, and s+p.

4. Fold the parchment paper in half, and then roll up the ends together to make a half circle shape. I know that you probably can't get the image in your head, but hold your horses and scroll down to the pictures.

5. Cook on a baking sheet at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the fish is flaky. The sealed parchment paper will keep in the steam and cook the fish with all the flavours trapped inside.

NOTES:
* I used mangoes and lemon, but I wouldn't recommend that combo because the acidity of the lemons brought out a weird taste in the mangoes

** I used a pizza baking sheet but a regular cookie sheet works well too.

*** If you're making more than one fillet, use one sheet of parchment for each piece.




I'm really not kidding when I say this recipe can be altered to your taste. Just chuck some veggies and fish onto a piece of parchment paper and you're set!

The other recipe is also simple and yummy. It's adapted from the Rose Reisman's Family Favourites cookbook and is great for a quick weeknight meal, plus if you have more of the cream cheese filling it's great on a cracker.

Every recipe is awesome in this book!

Salmon with Pesto and Cream Cheese

Ingredients
- ¼ cup of softened cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp of pesto (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 salmon fillets
- 2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts, almonds, walnuts, or pecans

✿ Preheat the oven at 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

1. Combine the softened cream cheese and the pesto in a small bowl until smooth.

2. Make a vertical slit from the top of each salmon fillet to within ¼ inch of each end and about ½ inch deep.

3. Stuff each fillet by dividing the pesto filling between the 4 fillets.

4. Top the fish with the nuts if you haven't toasted them or garnish the fish after you baked it if you have toasted the nuts prior to baking.

5. Place on the prepared and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until flaky.


I guess the moral of this blog post is get off your computer or phone or whatever gadget you're using, and run to the store to get yourself some parchment paper. I use it for everything and I haven't made a burnt cookie since I bought my first roll. Good old Martha Stewart recommended it and I haven't looked back. 

Have a wonderful week and don't be afraid to be a little fishy this week.

xox Gaby

p.s. It was my dad's birthday this week and I made him a pecan pie that was oh so delicious. If you think I should post the recipe leave a comment.



1 comment:

  1. Heck yeah, post the pie recipe!!!

    I'm a big baby about fish, but the parchment way looks so easy!

    ReplyDelete