Saturday, May 4, 2013

Biscuits and Bargains

Hi Everyone,

For the past week I have been going to rummage sales around Ottawa searching for stuff for my house next year. I have been finding so many deals! This morning I drove by a lawn bowling club and they were bringing the leftover merchandise out to the curb because the sale had finished. I ended up getting a crock pot, some pots and pans, a table top lazy Susan, and a water jug for ten bucks. The woman and I were bonding and she was basically begging me to take things "off her hands".

I also bought a lovely white ceramic cake pedestal from Chapters (who would have thought?) thanks to a gift card from my god parents Tim and Barb. If you're reading, I'd been saving it for something I absolutely needed to have and the cake stand is gorgeous, so thanks a bunch. I will post photos when I make a cake worthy enough to sit on top of it.



This week I went through a few more of my cookbooks and found some awesome cooking blogs. I used a recipe from The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook (2001-2010) to make their Best Drop Biscuits. Trust me, they are seriously the best! I have tried many biscuit recipes that have turned out flat or dry but these were light, fluffy, buttery, and just perfect. I made a batch and ate some with some chicken salad I had made with leftover bbq chicken and a few other ingredients laying around (apples, carrots, onions, mayonnaise, s + p).









Best Drop Biscuits

From The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook (2001-2010)

It is supposed to make 12, but I made 9 slightly larger biscuits.

- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp table salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled **
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus 2 Tbsp melted butter for brushing the biscuits.

Note:
** I never buy buttermilk, but instead I make it with lemon juice and milk. Just poor a Tbsp of lemon juice in a one cup measuring cup and top it off with milk. Let it sit for two minutes and you're good to go!

✿ Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 475 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (FYI, I swear by parchment paper! Makes evenly baked goods and no need to grease the pan.) Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl. Combine the buttermilk and ½ cup of the melted butter in a medium bowl, stirring until the butter forms clumps (Clumps are good, don't fret!).

✿ Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just incorporated and the batter pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Using a greased ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop a level amount of batter and drop onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining batter, spacing the biscuits about 1½ inches apart. Bake until the tops are golden brown and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes. 

✿ Brush the biscuit tops with the remaining 2 Tbsp melted butter. Transfer to a wire rack and cool 5 minutes before serving.

✿ To refresh day-old biscuits, heat them in a 300-degree oven for ten minutes.

I had put two biscuits on my plate for lunch but they are just so filling I only managed to finish one of them. These are so simple and speedy, you don't need a whole roast beef dinner for these, they can be whipped up on a week night.

I am currently working on a super post about single serving mug desserts thanks to my friend Erica who showed me some awesome posts. I am tweaking a lot of the recipes because everyone's microwave is different but it's great because they're only one serving so if it turns out not that great, I didn't ruin a whole batch. Here's a little preview of what's in store ;)


xox Gaby

p.s. Hi Kelly! I told you I would make you blog famous. Miss you.

3 comments:

  1. Those biscuits look awesome! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay! It makes me so happy that you're enjoying the blog.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait for the single serve mug desserts! I've already been working on some!

    ReplyDelete