Sunday, April 19, 2015

Raspberry Scones

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Breakfast at Midnight!!! It was on this fateful day two years ago that I started my blog and I can't believe I'm still at it! Last night we had a couple of friends over for games and some much needed drinks to celebrate the end of exams (for most of us) and we ate a huge pile of chocolate chunk waffles... at midnight. So we had breakfast at midnight to celebrate Breakfast at Midnight!! I'm so lucky to have friends that put up with my wacky ideas :)


Today, I'm going to give you guys the best raspberry scone recipe, which is fitting because my girlfriends and I just came back from an afternoon sipping tea, munching on scones, and chit chatting at a little old heritage house right in Lennoxville! Apparently they have pictures of our house archived at the museum there, so I'm booking an appointment sometime this week to go uncover some hidden gems. Our house is right on the train tracks, so wayyyyyy back when it used to be some sort of rest stop/little train station. I can't wait to find out more about its history!

Raspberry Scones



Straight from my girl Martha.

Ingredients
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar, and then 1 Tbsp for topping
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cold unsalted butter grated 
- ¾ cup buttermilk (I never buy buttermilk, I just use Joy's trick!)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ cup raspberries. Martha says that you should use fresh, but I used frozen and that was okay)

Directions
✿ Preheat oven to 400ºF.
✿ Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Grate in the cold butter and mix until pea-size pieces form.
✿ In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg yolk. Slowly pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and mix until dough just comes together.
✿ Transfer to a lightly floured surface and sprinkle raspberries on top. Knead three times to fold in the raspberries and then pat down the dough to 1 inch thick. Use a cup to cut circles out of the dough or pull apart pieces. Place scones about 2 inches apart, on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle tops with one tablespoon of sugar.
✿ Bake until just golden, about 15-18 minutes.

Enjoy!




...and a gif of me blowing out the candles of one giant stack of waffles.



No comments:

Post a Comment