Saturday, October 11, 2014

Thanks for food and those who made it

Hello lovelies!

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! I love holidays, whether it's Valentine's Day, or Halloween I love that it's the perfect opportunity to get together with your loved ones and make some solid memories. Thanksgiving is especially special because it's just so cozy! I'm a little sad that I'm not at home this weekend because it's usually when I go back to Ottawa from school for the first time since the summer to enjoy some baking, fall biking, and an overload of hugs. I can't forget the abundance of pumpkin flavoured baked goods and warm drinks! Just for the record I loved fall before it was coined "cool" or whatever. All I had to do was search "white girl fall buzzfeed" and tooooooo many links came up! Shaking my head!! Anyways, in the spirit of giving thanks I wanted to give a few shout-outs to the people that brighten my days.
  1. My family. You guys are the best! I am so lucky to be able to Skype you at any moment of the day and you seem genuinely interested in knowing I boiled potatoes and lentils for lunch. 
  2. My Bishop's family. Oh geez when I came abroad I had no idea how much I would miss the little bubble that is Lennoxville! I miss it, I really do, and I can't wait to see you all come January.
  3. My Hydro Ottawa co-workers. I had the best summer with these amazing people. You know who you are! I've never learned and laughed so much in four short months. p.s. Kelly please make ALL the pumpkin goodies this weekend :)
  4. The awesome students on my exchange. I am so lucky to have picked this school if only for the people! You are all stellar people and I'm so happy we get to discover Europe together.
  5. Diane from the international office. I know I was a pain and a half to deal with but I can't thank you enough for your constant words of encouragement during my study abroad application process. I'm here now! I actually made it to France!
  6. My roommates. I love all our catch-up sessions and hearing about life back in Canada. I can't wait to resume our dance parties soon!
  7. My high school friends. It's so nice to come home to Ottawa and be wrapped up in a bear hug and know that we'll always be such good friends.

I'd like to share a recipe that you are more than welcome to make for the people you are thankful for! I made these s'mores bars on my last day of work this summer and they were so good and easy to make.

Oatmeal Cookie S'mores Bars
Recipe from Chelsea's Messy Apron

Ingredients

Bottom Layer:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla

S'mores Layer:
- 1 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cup mini marshmallows

Top Layer:
- 6 Tbps. brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 3/4 cup crushed graham crackers
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- Handful of chocolate chips

Instructions

Bottom and Middle Layer:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the base layer. Stir until a crumbly type of dough has been formed. Press this "dough" into the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking pan.
  3. Cook for 10 minutes or until lightly browned on top and remove from the oven.
  4. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top to melt.
  5. Sprinkle the marshmallows on top of the chocolate chips.

Top Layer:

  1. Beat together the brown sugar and butter until light and creamy. Stir in the oats, crushed graham crackers, and flour.
  2. Scoop the dough over the marshmallow layer. The dough doesn't cover it completely, but will cook together somewhat. Just evenly disperse scoops of dough on top of the marshmallows.
  3. Return to the oven for about 5 minutes (it will still be a bit gooey), then remove and allow to cool. These taste great right out of the oven, but take a good hour to fully set. If you don't mind messy bars, then dig in!
  4. Top the mostly cooled bars with a handful of chocolate chips




Enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving folks and have a lovely fall!!

Gaby
xox




No comments:

Post a Comment