Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Hello lovelies,

I hope everyone hasn't lost it yet with exam season right around the corner! I know that at the end of the month I sure will be happy to be home. My goal for this exam period is to continue to eat well, because I know how easy it can be to simply reach for a frozen dinner or go get fast food when you're super busy. I also want to save room for a bit of exercise in this perfect running weather. I can go a little stir crazy if i'm cooped up in my room studying all day, so I'm going to for sure hit the trails throughout the next month.

I made a really nice lemon poppy seed muffin recipe the other day from Joy the Baker, and it was delicious! I guess I wouldn't be posting them if they tasted horrible. Anyways, they were great, and I urge you to try them as they are really spring inspired.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins


2/3 cup granulated sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cups all-purpose flour (or I used whole wheat flour and they were still tasty)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (or mix a bit of lemon juice and reg. milk, and let sit for an alternative)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar (for topping the batter before baking)
✿ Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line a muffin tray with paper muffin liners (or grease the pan), place the muffin pan on a baking sheet and set aside.
✿ In a large bowl, rub the granulated sugar with the lemon zest until the sugar is lightly colored and scented with lemon.  Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk (see note above) vanilla extract, melted butter and lemon juice.
✿ Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together.  When almost thoroughly mixed, add the poppy seeds.  Divide batter between muffin cups.  Sprinkle each would be muffing with granulated sugar.
✿ Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.

Enjoy!
xox
Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment