Friday, June 7, 2013

An Adventure in the City

Hello friends,

I would like to apologize for being so absent from the blogosphere recently but I have good reasons! For the past week and a half (and for the next two weeks) I have been in Montreal with my job, so I haven't gotten the chance to cook anything. Because of this the following post will be about my adventures in a foodie city and a few stories along the way.

First of all, it has always been my dream to go on a business trip. I have proof of this:
Me, coming home from Calgary pretending
to be a business woman (2009)
Present day business woman writing
to you from first class on the train

When my office told me I would be travelling to Montreal for an audit for three and a half weeks, I was thrilled to say the least. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be treated the way I have been though. The Office of the Auditor General really treats me like royalty. I have been staying in top notch hotels and every evening I venture off to a new part of the city to discover a new restaurant. Wether it's a fancy seafood place in Old Montreal or a burger joint in who knows where, I have been loving it, and the best part... it's all paid for! Depending on what I'm craving, I pull out my trusted iPhone and set out on foot no matter how far it tells me to go. Along the way I stop to read or take detours to go look in stores but the main goal is to get to a really good restaurant. Walking places is also great because I don't feel so bad for being stuffed with drool worthy food every night.

A few shots of my nightly strolls:





I thought I might be lonely all by myself in a big city but I am keeping busy and there are always people around so it doesn't bother me. My favourite dinner so far was a seafood salad at Chez Delmo. It was the best thing ever. It was so fresh and light but the ingredients were also decadent. There was about half a lobster, shrimp, and crab on top of a bed of boston lettuce tossed in a garlic/lemon dressing. I wanted to take a picture SO BADLY but it wasn't the type of restaurant. I probably would have gotten dirty looks from everyone there. 

Every morning I have breakfast in the train station because I need to take a train to get to the client's office. It's really nice food for a train station. There's one spot I really like because you can order basically anything from a counter/ buffet and then you can eat it at a table in the middle of the station and watch the hussle and bussle of the morning rush. Perfect people watching setting. My favourite game is "Who's a tourist and who's a local".

Here are a few pictures of my lovely room:



One evening I walked to the Vieux Port and walked along the water. I had been advised by a couple of people to try out Muvbox lobster shack and so I did. It was delicious but nothing compared to P.E.I. or Maine lobster (which I'm used to). You may have noticed that there's a recurring theme of seafood in the restaurants I have chosen, well that's because it's my favourite type of food! 

Good, but not comparable to Red's Eats, Wiscasset ME
Before I end this post check out this pic below of me cooking in my friend Elizabeth's kitchen at her farmhouse. Just look at that stove!!!! I was thrilled to cook on it and then she pulled out that chef hat and I was jumping for joy. 


That sums up my adventures for this little while but I'll write more soon (hopefully). Catch you later... get it? Catch you later. Cause I talked about fish. Ok, I know. I'll stop.

xo 

G

No comments:

Post a Comment